07 September 2008

7 September 2008

Greetings Friends,

Listening is an art. In the course of every day we have the opportunity to speak with others and hear what they have to say about any number of things or events. But hearing and listening are two very different things. I can't help but think of past experiences, and I dare say perhaps all of us have had similar encounters. The scene is at the dinner table. Dan is talking about something. I hear his voice, and at one point he stops and says, "You're not listening; you haven't heard a word I said!" And in some cases he has been right - I may have been thinking so intently about what I was going to say in reply that I missed much of what he was saying or I may have been thinking of something else all together. The point is that listening, truly listening to another is our gift to them. It says, "You and what you have to say is important to me". Oh, we do not have to agree with what they say, and we are entitled to our opinion, but to really focus on attending to the person speaking to us, and having another really listen to us is so integral to relationship - it brings us a strong sense of togetherness.

The biblical prophets had the art of listening down to a tee. God spoke, and they listened and then they spoke God's message to the people. Oh, for sure most if not all of them questioned God in some way, shape, and form. But in the end, they not only heart but listened to the voice of the Divine. The message God spoke to Ezekiel in today's reading (Ezekiel 33:7-9) seems on the surface a harsh one. But within God's words, we can always find a message of love" "...you shall warn them for me". God was counting on Ezekiel to show the people that God wanted them to turn away from evil and return to God's love.

I believe God also speaks to us and continually offers us that message of God's love. Where? In the people around us, in the events of our lives, in all of creation that surrounds us, in the very core of our being, and more. We need only listen...

May we be in tune with the divine music of our loving God!

Peace on the Journey

No comments: