05 June 2009

Promises: 7 June 2009

Dear Friends,

I’ve been thinking quite a bit lately about how people come into our lives. Certainly there’s family and at some point we grow and leave home. There have been the neighborhood kids we may have played with. Then there are the friends we made in grade school, high school, perhaps college. At work we are introduced to colleagues. If and when we meet that special someone, we are introduced to a whole new set of friends.

When I was 5 years old, our neighbors at the time also had a five-year old daughter. We played together sometimes and got along pretty well for the most part. I remember one day in particular as we sat on the curb talking. I had just learned to ride my bike without training wheels and was telling her about it. The memory of what she said is still so clear: “I could ride MY bike for a long time”. Hmm…my first lesson in how others may not rejoice with us in our joy. Funny, but I don’t think we played together much after that day.

Sometimes we out grow some of our friends or move in a different direction – physically, intellectually or in our belief system. Sometimes we promise to keep in touch. Whether or not that actually happens, well, I think depends on how strong the relationship is or was and what it was based on. Still, I do believe our promise to keep a connection alive is at its core sincere…at least initially.

And Jesus said, “…I am with you always…” (Matthew 28:20). Now, that’s a promise we count on and one that we can actually see and feel. All we need do is stop and take a look around to see the signs of the Sacred Presence: the colors of the sunrise and sunset, the beauty of the changing seasons, the laughter of a child, the stars in the night time sky, a rainbow, the kindness of a stranger, and so much more. Sacred Love promises to abide within and around. We only need the eyes to see and ears to hear.

Peace on the Journey

No comments: