24 April 2010

Food...for Thought: 25 April 2010

Give us each day our daily bread
Luke 11:3


While mowing the lawn on Thursday I paused to take a peek inside the little white bird house. On Thursday while mowing the lawn, I noticed the Eastern bluebirds flying in and out of the little white bird house rather frequently. When I worked my way to the back of the yard, I paused to take a peek inside the little house hanging on the tree. To my surprise and utter delight, the eggs had hatched and the three little ones were snuggled down in the nest with beaks wide open! Sure enough, that explained the numerous trips by the adult birds to and from the bird house - they were busy gathering food and bringing it back to their young ones. And this will continue each day until the young ones are big enough and old enough and strong enough to leave the nest and learn how to find food for themselves.

When we pray the Lord's Prayer I often wonder if we take the time to truly ponder the words we are speaking. It's such a familiar prayer and perhaps it becomes easy to simply recite it without much thought (or heart) put into it (hopefully that is not the case). In part we are asking that we be given our "daily bread". What does that mean?

Answers to that question are likely as numerous as the numbers of those who wish to ponder it. To me, praying for daily bread means I am asking God to grant me and those for whom I pray all the blessings, courage, and strength to deal with whatever may come into life today. It means I have faith that God knows what we truly need (rather than what we think we need or merely want) and will feed us with just the right "food" to nourish and sustain us. Our task is to simply notice and gratefully receive the Sacred generosity and Love.

Peace on the Journey


No comments: