29 June 2008

29 June 2008

Greetings Friends!

The other evening I sat on our step and watched how alive and active nature is this time of year. The birds were soaring and dashing about, chirping a joyful noise. Those once tiny bluebirds are now nearly fully grown and gracefully dart about from tree to wire to grass to tree again each evening. Actually I'm surprised they have stuck around so long this year. They soar with a great freedom that reminds me of our upcoming holiday - Independence Day. It is my hope that we all have a safe and wonderful celebration, remembering all who serve to preserve and protect the freedom we enjoy, both now and in the past.

A few weeks ago, I wrote about some of our young feathered friends as they followed their parents and mentioned that they know - they know their nature; who they are. Sure, we realize animals have a certain innate or instinctive nature, but those young ones just looked as if they were learning and growing into their knowing. Most people, when asked the question "Who are you? tend to answer with words that are more of a description of what they do. Oh, I'm a wife, husband, mother, father, brother, sister, grandparent; I'm a factory worker, farmer, teacher, nurse; I'm single, married, widowed; etc. Perhaps it's safer to answer that way, or maybe we have just become accustomed to thinking of ourselves in terms of what we do. It kind of reminds me of how I lost my identity when my daughter entered school. Suddenly I became known as "Sara's mom" rather than Brenda/ But I truly believe we should spend some time pondering who we really are - including all those wonderful qualities God has blessed us with. We could begin by using adjectives rather than nouns - generous, compassionate, caring , loving, kind, playful, serious...

Jesus asked his disciples, "Who do you say that I am?" (Matthew 16:15) I believe Jesus asks us this same question as well. Is he, for us, just some holy person who happened to live some thirty-some years two thousand years ago, or is he the "Son of the living God" whose words and actions continue to make a difference in the world though our hands and words and actions? Is Jesus our brother, friend, mentor, and constant companion on our journey through life? Or is Jesus someone we think about only when the times get tough? Am I open to receive the gift of faith in and from Jesus or am I arrogant and closed, burdened by an inflated view of my own self-worth? These are the questions I wrestle with from time to time. And yet, Jesus' invitation stands firm today as it did all those years ago: "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me". Through a life lived in live, as Jesus teaches, we will find true rest and freedom. Now...that's something to celebrate!

May we continue to rejoice in the abundant Love and Life God has given us in all we do and are!

Peace on the Journey

No comments: